About Me

My photo
I'm happy, married, and looking forward to sharing my world with you! If you're interested, that is!

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Spuds is My New Hero

You know, I found Carrying a Cat by the Tail... on another one that I read regularly, Because I Said So.

If you have kids, read today's entry by Spuds - it's awesome!
http://blirred-reality.blogspot.com/2010/10/universal-truths.html

Here's the part I read that really struck a chord with me (Spuds, if you're reading this, you are a wonderful father!!!):

"In my mind there are very few promises I can make to my children, but they are the most important promises. I promise I will love them, no matter what. I promise them that I will always be available for them when they are troubled or in need of support. I promise them that I will protect them, to the point of losing my own life if needed. I promise them that if they are lost, I will not rest until they are found. And, I promise my kids that I will support them in any road they choose to travel."

Now THAT, my friends, is a parent!!!

And the rest of the post, although a bit lengthy, is well-worth reading.  He talks about being there for all six of his kids (and he's a single dad who has custody of them all!) and how he does it, without promising what he can't, or might not be able to, deliver.  When you think about it, one of the soapboxes I seem to get up on pretty often is The Entitlement Soapbox.  I can rant and rave with the best of them that we are not entitled to everything or anything, but that we have the opportunity to earn anything and everything.  Spuds makes a great point that it might not be such a great idea to promise trivialities to your kids, when the real world might make it impossible for you to deliver, but keeping a BIG promise, like his quoted above, well, that's the basis for raising your children well.

Okay, done preaching...  I was just seriously touched by his post today and felt like sharing...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Geez! Thanks! I really don't know how great of a parent I am. I spend a lot of my time wondering how I seem to mess up as often as I do. Thank you for your words!