About Me

My photo
I'm happy, married, and looking forward to sharing my world with you! If you're interested, that is!

Saturday, November 06, 2010

3 Hours in the ER that I'll Never Get Back...

We went to Atlantic City on Wednesday, for a credit union seminar.  We had the usual fun, I lost the usual funds, and then won them back, thank goodness!   We ate at Morton's Steak House on Thursday evening, and I had a delicious dinner. 

I had noticed that my elbow was a bit puffy, similar to when I had the cellulitis attack a couple of weeks ago.  So on Friday, after we got home, and after we picked up Neen's car from KD's shop, I decided I had to go to either the Immedicenter or to the emergency room.  I really didn't want to go to the ER - really?  for a swollen elbow?  But the Immedicenter guy had warned me two weeks ago that if the infection didn't respond to the antibiotics within 48 hours, I should go to the ER for an IV-antibiotic.  I only had to worry about a systemic infection, nothing too serious...

So after consulting with hubby and mom, off we went to the hospital. 

Three hours.  Three hours I'll never get back.  Three hours we spent laughing and goofing around while we waited for a doctor to come in.  Three hours where we sent a photo of me in the hospital bed to my sisters and to my sister-in-law, and to our friend G who was still in AC.  I just LOVE having a camera in my cell phone!!!  That was rather entertaining, counting down the minutes to the return phone calls and the panicked queries.  In the photo I was lying in the hospital bed, laughing, and pointing to my elbow in one of them. 

The upshot?  A FIFTH diagnosis:  bursitis, with cellulitis thrown in for good measure 'cause I just can't have a simple ailment...  Apparently from sitting at my desk for hours at a time, I have caused my bursa to become inflamed.  That doesn't necessarily mean it will get infected all the time - I was just lucky this time around!  Since I took my last antibiotic THAT VERY MORNING, the ER doctor thought it might be a good idea to give me 7 more days of Bactrim, to be on the safe side.  So I'm back on the antibiotics, and for sh-ts and giggles, she wrapped my arm in an Ace Bandage and asked if I wanted a sling!  [An aside:  FINALLY, Ace Bandages with Velcro on the ends - no more metal clips!!!]  I have a sling at home so I turned that down (why pay for a second one?!) but you can bet I'll milk this at work if I can, for as long as I can!

I tried this:  Since I can't sit with my elbow on the desk without hurting myself or having chronic bursitis, I should quit my job and live off my husband.  To his credit, he just shrugged.  But dang, I can't do that!  I need what little money I make...  Ah, well, perhaps a health-related early retirement is closer to reality...

Anyhow, we're at the lake and I have to catch up on some blog reading - I haven't checked my favorites since Tuesday!  I'm just a little behind...

Back soon...

No comments: