About Me

My photo
I'm happy, married, and looking forward to sharing my world with you! If you're interested, that is!

Friday, October 28, 2011

Yea, e-books AGAIN!!!

From Shelf Awareness, Friday, October 28, 2011 - Volume 2, Issue 1592


Used Bookseller 'Not Afraid of E-Books'


"My customers still have all sorts of reasons for purchasing printed books. The collector of modern first editions; the new mother passing her childhood favorites down to the next generation; the reader of forgotten and esoteric texts unavailable digitally--all are seeking out an experience greater than the words on the page. The e-book can't replicate that experience, and it doesn't have to.
"E-books are fantastic at keeping us reading; traditional books are great at reminding us why we started in the first place. We're fortunate to live in a world where we don’t have to decide on one or the other."

--Michael Popek in his Wall Street Journal piece headlined "I'm a Used Bookseller, and I'm Not Afraid of E-Books." Popek is the author of Forgotten Bookmarks and a bookseller at his family's used bookstore in Oneonta, N.Y.


You all know how I feel about books vs. e-books.  This perhaps is the most even-handed clip I've ever posted on the topic...  And believe it or not, this TOTALLY is my opinion!

I CHOOSE print over e-books, but I would never tell YOU to make the same decision. 

That's probably what annoys me about other people who have such strong opinions - they try to force me to feel the same way or they tell me I'm wrong. 

But e-books, in my personal opinion, are just like politics:  I'm NOT wrong, I just don't agree with YOU!

Just like I will never tell you not to be a Democrat or a Liberal or not to be Green, I don't expect you to tell me e-books are the bomb and I'm wrong to be against them. 

Signed,

Proud Republican print book supporter!!!

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

You go, woman!!!!!!!!!!! Give me the paper and give me a Republican! LMAO