About Me

My photo
I'm happy, married, and looking forward to sharing my world with you! If you're interested, that is!

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Books vs. Food? Hmmm...

"I think books are like people, in the sense that they'll turn up in your life when you most need them. After my father died, the book that sort of saved my life was Gabriel García Márquez's novel One Hundred Years of Solitude. Because of that experience, I firmly believe there are books whose greatness actually enables you to live, to do something. And sometimes, human beings need story and narrative more than they need nourishment and food."


--Actress Emma Thompson on choosing seven "books that made a difference" for O magazine.

I agree.  I collect quotes.  And I have not collected more quotes from a single source than from Richard Bach in all his fiction and Dan Fogelberg in all his lyrics.  And the "right" quote seems destined to show up in front of me just when I need it - when I had to say goodbye to my best friend after college, we sent Bach quotes back and forth to each other for years.  [Along with several from the Dune trilogy, too!)  There were quotes and lyrics that helped me when my father died.  A song by Dan Fogelberg was our wedding song, despite the fact Jack had never heard of it before!  The words were just so appropriate.

It's nice to hear that books, and reading, mean as much to others as they do to me.

Happy Thanksgiving, a day or two in advance, to all my friends and family who read this blog, as well as to alll my e-friends who stop by to catch up once in a while!  I hope you have a wonderful holiday (if you celebrate it)!!  (And if you don't, have a great Thursday!!!)

No comments: