About Me

My photo
I'm happy, married, and looking forward to sharing my world with you! If you're interested, that is!

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

More about me...

It was a big decision, to leave high school and go to college at 16-1/2 years of age, and I was a young 16-1/2. My parents were very old-fashioned and protective, and although I never had a problem with that (even then), I can truly appreciate the wonderful upbringing I had and I'll be forever grateful to them.

I took the PSATs and the SATs on schedule, and after my SAT scores arrived (don't even ask me now wha they were, but they were good), the college brochures started to arrive. I can clearly remember receiving flyers from Case Western Reserve University, Lehigh Valley University, Washington University,...

I had never even considered the University of Delaware but one day I had a meeting with my high school guidance counselor, Mrs. Betty Zoehller. One of the routine questions was, "Have you heard from any colleges? Which ones?" So I started reciting the list. I sort of threw the UD Freshman Honors Program in there, in conversation. It wasn't something I ever would have considered, but Mrs. Z. jumped on it! "The UD FHP doesn't ask just anyone to be in that program! You have to respond to that!"

So I did. I was asked to come down for and interview, and so we went, Mom, Dad and me. I interviewed with Stephen Skopik, the biology professor. I remember him asking me what made me think I was good enough for the University of Delaware, and I remember replying, "I don't know that I am, but I'm here to see if the University of Delaware is good enough for me! They're the ones who sent me the brochure!" I can remember trembling as I said it; even then that was pretty aggressive for me! I could just feel my mom grimacing behind me... Dr. S. just chuckled and went on with the interview. We toured the campus - I remember seeing Hullihen Hall, Memorial Hall, the Morris Library, the Green. We have a great picture of Dad in his shorts and a white T-shirt, standing on the steps of Hullihen Hall with his hands up in the air like he was being arrested - there was a security guard behind him locking the doors!

I joined the FHP and became a FHP!

I started keeping a diary on August 16, 1977 - two weeks before FHP, the day Elvis Presley died. I can remember it like it was yesterday.

The next time I make an entry, I'll tell you about my first night on the Wesley College campus...

No comments: