About Me

My photo
I'm happy, married, and looking forward to sharing my world with you! If you're interested, that is!

Thursday, February 21, 2013

Bullying

If you have 7-1/2 minutes, PLEASE listen to the video that Cathy Zielske posted on her blog.
If you've been bullied, PLEASE listen to the video that Cathy Zielske posted on her blog.
If you've bullied someone, PLEASE listen to the video that Cathy Zielske posted on her blog.

http://cathyzielske.typepad.com/my_weblog/2013/02/instead-of-project-life-today-would-you-watch-this.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+typepad%2Fcathyzielske%2Fmy_weblog+%28Bits%26Pieces%29&utm_content=Google+Reader

I am passionately involved in supporting anti-bullying and teaching children not to bully.  The funny thing is I never felt bullied growing up.  I never really thought about it.  J thinks it's because I went to Catholic school for 12 years, but I think it's simpler than that.  There were bullies then, but they weren't bullies like bullies are today.  There were a couple of mean kids in school.  That's it.  I'm sure there were kids back then that today would say they were bullied, but it's true when I say times were different then.

A couple of years ago there was a Facebook thing going around, asking if "you were a nerd when you were in school."  My response was, and I thought I was being funny, was, "I never thought I was a nerd, but you'll have to ask the kids I went to school with."  (Sorry about that dangling preposition!)  Imagine my shock and horror when a girl I was friendly with in high school responded with this (paraphrased) reply:  "Krys, of course you were a nerd, but look at the people you hung out with:  we were all nerds!"

I was - and I'm almost ashamed to admit it - so hurt!  I was a bookworm, sure.  I was one of the studious kids, I admit it.  But a nerd?????  No way!  In that short, 20-word sentence, it was if someone pulled me totally off balance, knocked me off my feet, stabbed me in the heart, rewrote history!  (No one ever said I wasn't dramatic!)

There is no valid reason to bully anyone, not a single person.  Everyone deserves to be and should be treated with respect.  Each and every person on this earth is valuable.  Race, color, religion, sexual orientation, hair color, height, weight - all "reasons" people have been bullied.  In fact, people have been bullied for no good reason.  Many times the bullier is the reason for the bullying, his or her insecurities, lack of self-worth and lack of self-esteem.   It's not a good reason, but it's a reason.

We should all take it upon ourselves to fight this battle against bullying.

No comments: