About Me

My photo
I'm happy, married, and looking forward to sharing my world with you! If you're interested, that is!

Friday, June 01, 2012

I don't want to KILL them, exactly...

... especially since I do have one.  Admittedly I have tried reading on my Kindle Fire, but as my dear readers know, I'm not particularly enthralled.  Perhaps I would have liked it better if the e-reader I got was readable in the sun, but I knew it wasn't when I got it so I can't make that the reason I hate it.  Because I don't really hate it; I just don't like it for reading books.  No new news there...

I am a HUGE fan of the Hay Literary Festival in Hay-on-Wye, I believe the town is called...  It's a small town on the Wales border.  It hasn't been around for hundreds of years, the festival, I mean, but it's made a great name for itself.  I was sorry to run across this article today where a few booksellers are calling for a ban on Kindles at the Festival.

A)  I H.A.T.E. that 5 of the 30 or so book indies in the town have closed over the past year.
B)  Apple's iBookstore has signed on as a Festival partner for the Hay Literary Festival 2012.  If you were so anti e-reader or e-books, you should have said no to Apple.
C)  I really do believe that anything that makes people read, and enjoy reading, can't be all bad (Kindles, Goosebumps books, Sweet Valley High books, etc., etc.).
D)  Someone in the article mentioned that people attending the Festival are buying books in all formats, including the not-available-in-e-reader-format rare, second-hand books. 

THEY'RE READING, PEOPLE!  How bad can it be???

Just give us the option to read REAL books, don't take them away!  That's all I ask!!!

1 comment:

patrysia said...

Hooray! I'm glad you finally see that reading, regardless of how, is the point here. Books aren't going anywhere. Digital ereaders just make it easier for some. Please, publishing, don't be the music industry and refuse to deal with the rapidly changing technology, and nearly go extinct in the process. Be the phone industry and adapt and get involved.

Just note that proprietary formats are the bane of even the biggest ereader lover, like me. We won't stand for it if you develop your own platform and won't publish books in other formats. Trust me, we won't buy your books in that case.