About Me

My photo
I'm happy, married, and looking forward to sharing my world with you! If you're interested, that is!

Saturday, August 06, 2011

You will be missed, Mr. T.

If you're friends with me on FB, you might have seen that my friend's dad died this past Thursday. I'd like to take just a minute to write a little something here in honor of Mr. T. 
     Mr. T., I didn't meet you until 1981 even though C and I had been friends for three years already.  I'd met Mrs. T. at the end of freshman year, for just a minute or two.  You and Mrs. T. made me feel so much at home when I came out to KCMO to visit C in 1981.  We alll hit it off spectacularly well.  We talked and talked, I never felt uncomfortable spending time with the two of you while C was at work.  I felt at home at your home.
     I remember when you told me about C's eye.  What you said was that you'd been looking through his things for my number so you could call me because you knew he'd want me to know and you knew I'd want to know he'd been hurt.  You were so worried about your son but you took the time to tell me what you knew, reassure me that C was okay, get me the room number and phone number for his hospital room... 
     Then when I came out for C and D's wedding, you rode back to the hotel with me from the rehearsal dinner.  That's when you said I was like a daughter to you.  Mr. T., you'll never know how much that meant to me; my dad had passed away the year before so hearing that...  well, you'll never know how much it meant to feel that I had another "dad" out there if I needed one, to know that someone else loved me ...
     I invited you and Mrs. T. to our wedding but you watched the boys so C and D could come.  Thank you for that.  I wish you'd been there to celebrate with us, but thank you for letting C come.  That meant a lot to me, that he was there.
     I had always talked about you and C with J, and we promised that if we retired and drove cross-country, on the motorcycle or by car, we'd stop in MO to see you and Mrs. T.  I'm so sorry that I won't be able to spend time with you, but if the timing works, I'll stop by and see Mrs. T....
     I know your life wasn't easy.  I know you've had some health issues, especially these past few years.  I'm so sorry for any pain or suffering you went through.  But knowing you're with God now, that brings peace to my heart.  Hearing from C that your children were with you, that it was easy, that brings comfort to those of us missing you. 
     We will miss you, Mr. T.  Say hi to my dad, will you?!?

No comments: